Lesser Black-backed Gull intermedius 1CY JR2Y November 24 2012, Anza, Morocco. Picture: Christian Pedersen.
Ringed intermedius pullus on 02 August 2012 at Kvannholmen, Auvær, Troms, Norway (69°52'20"N 018°02'34"E).
JR2Y was reported at Anza on 21.11, 22.11, 24.11 and 10.12.2012. No reports since. Travelled distance: 5000 KM's.
1. Rounded head, with extensive streaking, often dark 'mask' around eye.
2. Black bill, often somewhat droopy. Not really slender in JR2Y, which no doubt is a male.
3. JR2Y still most juvenile. Juvenile scapulars with dark chocolate brown centres and white fringes. Few scapulars missing.
4. Juvenile wing-coverts with dark chocolate brown centres and white fringes. Only few inner coverts show some notching on the fringes.
5. Juvenile tertials with thin straight pale fringes near tip. Extensive dark centres.
6. Outer primaries blackish without pale crescents at tips. Rather elongated rear end, with long primary projection beyond the tail.
7. Inner greater coverts with some notching, but outer greater coverts with extensive dark centres, leaving only narrow pale fringes near the tips.
8. Underparts very mottled, adding to overall brownish tone of the bird.
below: sunset at beautiful Tromso region. Picture Panoramio, by Snemann.
Locations on Google Map: